Sunday, August 23, 2015

Straight Outta Compton!


Went to see Straight Outta Compton last weekend, when I first heard that this movie was coming out I knew this was something I have to see! 

I was real young, probably like still a baby when NWA came out, so I wasn't that into them or knew too much about them then. I grew up in the 90's so I was paying more attention to them by the time they had solo careers in the early 90's. I used to watch MTV a lot as a kid, so I remember when Dre came out with G thang with Snoop, and Ice Cube's old video like It Was a Good Day. I always liked a lot of the West Coast rap music. I loved 2Pac, Snoop, Dre, Nate Dogg, Warren G, etc. I grew up listening to a lot of their music, and still love blasting it today.

 I knew about NWA through out the 90's and knew that Eazy E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube were from that group. I seen some of their old videos here and there, but just didn't pay too much attention to it, it was kinda old school stuff to me. As I got older, more into adult hood, around early/mid 2000's was when I started to listen to more of NWA's music. Maybe also because I love playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, it has a lot of those older west coast rap songs on the hip hop station including some NWA and Eazy E. I made cds with some of their music on it, I thought their music was dope, there was just something about it. Some of the things they say.

I think the movie is great because, it makes you understand more of what they were really about. They weren't just some gangster rap group that rapped about violence for no reason. They rapped about a lot of the issues that are going on like racism and police brutality. I like that they play and perform a lot of their music through out the movie, it really takes you back. They even have Snoop and 2Pac appearances in the movie and you hear snippets of their music. Even Bone Thugs N Harmony is mentioned, since they were discovered by Eazy E. 

This movie was really good, I would definitely recommend that you go see this movie. I think you should go see it if you don't understand what NWA was about or think they were just gangsters. Also, you should definitely just go see it if you're a fan of hip hop, especially 90's west coast hip hop. You basically get to see how the whole west coast rap thing evolved, how the newer rappers, like Snoop, Pac, even Eminem got their start. They probably wouldn't gotten to were they are if it weren't for NWA. 





No comments:

Post a Comment